The village of Goito was named after a settlement of Goths (Castrum Godii) of the 5th-6th century AD. This area was also inhabited during the age of the Longobards, as it is shown by the significant necropolis found in the locality of Sacca di Goito, where hundreds of coeval graves were found.
In 1848 Goito was the scene of the first battle during the Independence War fought by the Sardinian Army against the Austrians. Since then the bridge was called "Ponte della Gloria" (Glory Bridge) to commemorate the victory of the Bersaglieri led by the General officer Lamarmora. Always in 1848 the battle where Victor Emmanuel II was injured took place. Goito played a fundamental role even during the 2nd and the 3rd Independence war, so that it was called "small city of the Italian Unification", and the statue of a Bersagliere commemorates this important role. A testimony to its long history are the medieval tower of the Castle near Piazza Gramsci, the Saints Petrus and Paul's Basilica, the ruins of the walls and the villas from the 18th century, such as the so called "Giraffa", that was obtained from the monastery of the Capuchins characterized by different styles from the 15th to the 20th century, and the neoclassic Villa Moschini owned by the counts Arco and equipped with a large park designed by the architect Borsotto.
Province: Mantova Region: Lombardy | View on map
Official Website www.comune.goito.mn.it